Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Vegan Lasagna with Cashew Cheese


I honestly was never a huge fan of pasta… or bread… or pastries… basically any grains for that matter. I would only buy donuts to lick the icing off, or I would only eat a bagel so I could have a one inch layer of cream cheese on it. If it didn’t look weird I would have probably ordered just the icing or just the cream cheese from Tim Horton’s. So ya, breads in general are not my thing, and I do count myself as lucky because according to some women they can be quite addicting.

However, vegan lasagna is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I have always liked lasagna, not loved, but liked. It was never a meal we ate as kids, seeing as my dad had celiac and my sister and I were not that adventurous when we were making meals. They usually consisted of meat and potatoes, rice and stir fry or hot dogs and fries, not a lot of imagination for a couple of teens. But my parents were thankful that they didn’t have to cook meals when they got home from work.

I think the appeal of making vegan lasagna is the fact that it's so not vegan. You have anywhere from 3 to 10 types of cheese and then hamburger or pork as the key ingredients, which of course are everyone’s favourites. So this was kind of a test for me, to make lasagna that super ooey gooey, cheesey, deliciousness that everyone would love. Naturally my inner self yelled, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED and I set out on the net to check out some recipes. Unfortunately, none really caught my attention, so I just took all of my favourite aspects and blended them into one amazing lasagna recipe.
This is probably one of the best things I have EVER made, vegan or non-vegan. My husband even agrees that this is the best vegan thing I have ever made... even better than my chili, SHOCKER I KNOW! Because my chili is fricken fantastic. So I hope some of you are adventurous and try out my recipe, it’s totally worth it and you don’t even have to tell anyone its vegan, just let them decide if they like it or not!

Cashew Cheeze
1 cup of cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup of fresh basil
¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
¼ cup of water or vegan broth

Place all of the ingredients into a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth.

Lasagna - 8 x 8 pan
½ pkg of vegan, ready to cook, lasagna noodles, gluten free or not!
1 jar of vegan tomato sauce
1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
1 tbsp of coconut oil
½ of medium onion, diced
1 pkg of mushrooms, diced
2 red bell pepper, diced
8 cups of fresh spinach
2 cups of Daiya Cheese, mozzarella flavour.   

1) Make a base layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan, followed by a layer of noodles.

2) Spread half of the cashew cheeze across the noodles.
3) Layer of zucchini slices.
4) Layer of sauted vegetables
5) Layer of tomato Sauce, which I had forgot to do, oops!
6) Another layer of noodles
7) The rest of the cashew cheeze!

8) Layer of zucchini slices.

9) Layer of tomato sauce
10) Place the last of the vegetables on top of the sauce.

11) Final layer of Daiya cheese!!

Bake Lasagna at 400 degrees F. for an hour.
For 40 minutes, covered in tin foil, the last 20 minutes to be uncovered. 
Thanks for reading!!
xoxo -N

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this cashew cheeze stuff, but it looks really interesting. What is the yeast for? How does it stay so white with all that basil? I'm so curious, I want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, the cashew cheeze is really good! If you do make it, you could use it on other things too like a sandwich, as a veggie dip or on nachos. The nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, not like the yeast you find in breads. It is a source of vitamins and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium and is sugar, dairy, and gluten free. It has a nutty cheesy flavour hence why it is used in the cashew cheeze. The cheeze stays white because of the cashews, but now after checking I only used one cup of basil! Thanks for asking, I will change that on the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definately a recipe I'm gonna try Nikki! As soon as I can swing by Dad's health food store to get the ingredients! Superstore has lots of this stuff too, I always forget to check there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes SuperStore does have most of these ingredients, I am not sure about the Nutritional Yeast, but I know my sister said that they had Daiya cheese there and I would assume that it is cheaper at Superstore compared to Dad's. Please let me know when what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, made this last night! AWESOME! I was so scared about that cashew cheese, but it made the lasagna sooooo tasty! I chickened out and did half with reg mozza and half with the Daiya. The Daiya looked a bit weird, but holy it was just as tasty as the mozza side, even perhaps better...New years Resolution, for every new recipe I try, one is going to be strictly Vegetarian or Vegan! So keep blogging! I'm learning heaps from you! Thanks buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy you loved it! Putting half Regular mozzarella and half Daiya cheese is a great way to compare and see if you like it! And I am not surprised that you loved it because it is delicious.
    I will post lots more in the new year especially if you are inspired to eat more vegan/vegetarian. That's why I started this, to show people that many vegan recipes are good!

    ReplyDelete