Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lazyman Perogies, Vegan Gluten Free

To some families perogies are a way of life. They have them at every special occasion supper, every pot luck meal and they are always in the freezer for a midnight snack. For me that was not the case. I didn’t grow up with perogies in the house, and I can’t actually recall ever eating them as a kid. Maybe it was because my dad is celiac and there wasn’t any gluten free options back then or because my family just didn’t care for them. Either way, they were not my go to food as a kid like cabbage rolls were. And because of that I don’t really care for them, unlike my husband who craves them and can eat a whole plate of them.

So as the good wife that I am I like to cook some meals with him in mind, and this was one of them. My sister Ashley had made this a while ago, but it definitely wasn’t vegan seeing as it contained bacon and cream cheese. So I took this as a challenge, like I normally do when it comes to traditional meat and dairy recipes. (like cabbage rolls, chili and pizza)
So with a little substituting I came up with this gluten free, vegan lazyman perogie recipe that even had me loving perogies.


It is another one of my comfort food recipes that is perfect for all of our snowy Saskatchewan days. By not having the cream cheese layer that Ashley’s had, you also reduce the calories quite a bit in the recipe, not that it’s a low fat one, but I didn’t see the need for it. It is rich and creamy and honestly tastes just like perogies.

So I if you are one of those families that treat perogies like a religion, give my recipe a try and see how it how you like it. I know my husband loved it, so maybe your family might love it too!


Ingredients
2 golden potatoes, cubed
1 cup of almond milk
½ cup of Diaya, mozzarella
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 tsps coconut oil
1 pkg lasagna noodles, gluten free or regular
1 pkg of Dayia, cheddar

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender and strain. While the potatoes are cooking cook the lasagna noodles until tender, strain and rinse off. I used a deep dish 8x8 cooking pan and only need 6 noodles.
In a small frying pan, sauté the onions and oil until golden brown, about 15 mins.
In a small sauce pan on medium heat combine the milk and cheese. Stir until all of the cheese is melted and well combined with the milk. Pour over cooked potatoes and mash until smooth.

I poured a little milk in the bottom of the pan to avoid the noodles sticking to the pan.
Layer:
Milk, noodles, mashed potatoes, onion, Daiya cheddar, noodles, mashed potatoes, onion, Daiya cheddar. Done!

Cover with tin foil and cook for 15 mins, and cook uncovered for 5 mins in the oven. Let set for 5 mins, then serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. this looks amazing. Gotta try it. I also have a vegan hubby.

    ReplyDelete