Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Homemade Vegan Pizza


I have done a couple posts about pizza because well I LOVE PIZZA! Most of the time we order Family Pizza and I get mine without the cheese. However lately I have been wanting to make my own crust, to see how the two compare. Luckily my sister in law Jennifer had an awesome recipe that she shared with me, and  now will share it with you today! 

I really loved how this crust turned out, Jennifer was right it is awesome. I tried to roll it out until is was as thin as possible because I am not a big fan of thick crust. Basically the reason I eat pizza is for the toppings, the crust is just a vessel, but this crust actually tasted really good! The recipe does call for whole grain flour, so thats what I used this time. Next time I will try my hand at a gluten free version and post how it compares! Also I used a Italian and Herb Olive Oil that I really think added the perfect flavor to the crust. If you don't have flavored olive oil but would like the flavors of herbs feel free to add fresh herbs to the dough! 



When you actually think about it, the time it takes to make and rise the dough plus bake it in the oven, is the same amount of time it takes to make this pizza. And it definitely doesn't cost $30 or $40 to make them. So I hope you can take the time to make this for you and your family one night because you wont be disappointed, I know I wasn't. 



Pizza Dough - Makes 1-12inch pizza1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp ground flax
2 1/4 tsp quick-rising yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup very warm water
2 tsp olive oil 
2 tsp. date honey *recipe below

In a medium bowl, combine flour, flax, yeast and salt. Mix well.
Measure warm water in measuring cup, then stir in olive oil and honey. 
Pour mix over dry ingredients and mix using wooden spoon to form a ball. 
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 mins. 
Grease inside of another bowl with olive oil and place dough inside. 
Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until double in size (about 20mins).
While the dough is rising I cut up the vegetables to have ready.
Roll out dough over lightly floured surface into a circle. 
Pinch the outer edges up into a crust.
Put on toppings and bake at 425 for 15-20 mins.


For the toppings I used:
1 sm can tomato sauce
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
7 kalamata olives, pitted and diced
1 handful of baby spinach 
1/2 pkg of shredded Daiya mozzarella 

Date Honey - makes 1 cup
10 dates
1/2 cup water
Blend in high speed blender until smooth





Thanks for reading!
xoxo -N


No comments:

Post a Comment