Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Fruity Colada Smoothie

On Wednesday I had a not-so filling breakfast of just 3 bananas and 4 cups of spinach with coconut water, blended into a smoothie. Normally I have about 2 cups of berries in there but I was out of my favorite frozen berry blend from Super Store. I thought it wouldn’t make that much of a difference in my day, but boy was I wrong.

While at work I was helping a member and I started to get really unfocused and I had trouble remembering numbers. So I attacked my 3 oranges that I brought as a snack and felt so much better. Thankfully I had a healthy snack with me, because I don’t know what I would have done. Well, I would have probably snuck downstairs to the staff room and grabbed a bag of chips, which is a horrible idea because that isn’t good for me or my body.

So that night I was determined to have a filling breakfast and went grocery shopping after supper. I picked up lots of fruits and veggies, including some pineapple and mango. I had this idea of a pina colada inspired smoothie that day and was excited to try it. Happily, I wasn’t disappointed! The smoothie turned out divine and it is now one of my favorites, even my husband said that it was the best spinach smoothie he has ever tasted. 

As you can tell by the ingredient list it makes quite a lot, around 6-8 cups, depending on how big your pineapple is and yes you drink it all to yourself for breakfast. I know it seems like a lot but you need it, trust me. It lasted me all the way until 11:30 and I felt great, I was alert, I felt full and satisfied, which didn't happen the previous day. So if you ever are craving something tropical and are wanting a really filling breakfast this is the smoothie for you! 


Thanks for reading!
xoxo -N

2 comments:

  1. What is the calorie count on this. How do you have so much fructose and not gain weight?
    Regina Sagal-Hendry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smoothie is around 600 calories, with about 3g of fat, 145g carbs, 13g of protein, and about 22g of fiber. As for why you can consume so much fructose and not gain weight, it has to do with eating a low fat diet (under 10%), Freelee a raw fruitatarian has a great videos about explaining this type of question, and this is just one of them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOUqDgazZUc
    Thanks for posting Regina!

    ReplyDelete