Search This Blog

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The New Cauliflower Pizza, Vegan Gluten Free


This weekend we had the pleasure of babysitting our nephews, Brody and Carson. I always look forward to spending time with them because this is the age when they still want to hangout with us and they will still give us hugs and kisses. However, I think the one who benefited the most out of this get together was our dog Lucy. She is an attention whore and can con anyone into giving her a scratch on the head or belly. So when two young boys who love to hug and pet her come over, she is in doggy heaven! 
We had them for a good portion of Sunday, so I had to decide what to make them for supper. The first thing that came to my mind was pizza! What kid doesn’t love pizza? So I asked them what kind they would like and their response was:
Brody: Ordered in pizza
Carson: Cheesy bread.
…..
Well that didn’t get me very far. So I asked again, clarifying that we are making our own and that they could put WHATEVER they wanted on it. Carson still answered cheesy bread and Brody answered pepperoni. Success! I got one of them to answer. Now I just had to explain to Carson that he was going to get cheese pizza instead of the cheesy bread. He took it well and continued to jump off the stairs.
As I was driving I thought about the what kind of pizza I wanted and I really didn’t feel like eating all of that dough. I still wanted all of the toppings that comes with pizza, I just wasn’t feeling the bread part. Well, what about the cauliflower pizza crust that everyone is talking about? Meh, I have tried and it wasn’t that successful, plus with two boys in the house I didn’t feel like experimenting with something like that. That’s when an idea so awesome hit me! Like, so genius I had to look it up to see if anyone else had thought of it before, and to my luck I couldn’t find any other example!

Why not just skip making the crust and just put everything on top of the cauliflower?! Instead of making the crust and getting it to stay firm and crispy, just pile it all on a chunk of cauliflower! So I went from eating a whole pizza crust to myself, to eating almost a whole head of cauliflower to myself. What a great idea, and a healthy one too!
 
Okay so now you are thinking how do I do this? Well, you just take a sharp knife and cut out 1’’ steaks from the middle of the cauliflower you can probably get around 3 or 4 ‘steaks’ from each head, depending on how big it is. And yes I know, there are going to be holes in the ‘steaks’, but that’s okay, only some of the sauce will leak through. 

So the next time you are craving pizza, but want to eat a little healthier, try this out and see what you think. I personally loved it and they are really easy to throw together!

Ingredients – 2 servings (4 pizzas)
1 large head of cauliflower
2 tsp coconut oil
1 can of pizza sauce
3 mushrooms, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 kalamata olives, de stoned, diced
1 cup spinach
1 cup Daiya cheese, mozzarella

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
With a sharp knife slice through a whole head of cauliflower and make 1” thick ‘steaks’, about four individual chunks.
Lightly coat bottom of cauliflower with coconut oil and bake in the oven for 10 mins.
Chop up veggies while they are baking.
Remove the cauliflower from the oven. They should be slightly fork tender.
Spread the sauce all over the top of the cauliflower and put on the toppings. Finishing it off with the cheese.
Bake in the oven for another 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!

Thanks for reading!
Xoxo -N

2 comments:

  1. Made this pizza for supper. Was a little worried what Glen would say but he actually liked it. will definately make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for trying out my recipe Aunty! It's great to hear that you guys both liked it!

    ReplyDelete