Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Vegan Eggplant Soft Tacos

Truthfully I am not a big Mexican food fan. I love guacamole and salsa but tacos, burritos, enchiladas don’t really do it for me. I will eat them for sure, don’t get me wrong, but I never really crave them.

Yesterday however I was thinking about what I wanted for supper and a couple things came to mind but I wasn’t too sure. That’s when I came across a recipe for eggplant tacos, and I that piqued my interest. I just happened to have an eggplant in my fridge that was on its last couple days, so I had to use it ASAP. Well why not eggplant tacos. That’s when I realized that I interpreted the recipe wrong. I thought they used the eggplant as the taco shell, but instead they just had a corn tortilla and eggplant inside. I guess that could work too, but my original way sounded like a lot more fun!. I love trying new food and different ways to eat the norm, and this was the perfect example.

When buying your eggplant you are looking for a large, firm and a heavy one. You don't want to be  too hard or too soft because too hard means its not ripe enough and too soft means its too ripe. Also this is when size matters, because the bigger your eggplant is the wider your tacos will be!

So not only are these gluten free, egg free, everything free (except eggplant and oil) they cut down on carbs, fat, and salt and are a fun new way to look at tacos. I will warn you now, they are messy! But that shouldn’t stop you from trying them out, if anything it should entice you! Because who doesn’t love playing with their food.
My recipe is just a jumping off point, if you wanted you could add black beans, zucchini, hot peppers, anything  you think that would make a great taco, go for it. Also, if you have taco seasoning already at home then you could use that instead of the spices I have listed. I didn’t have any in my house so I thought, why not just make it!

Ingredients - 2 servings
1 large eggplant - 8 slices
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 red pepper
1 onion
5-8 mushrooms
1 lime
¼ - ½ cup of walnuts
½ avocado

Taco Seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin


Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Using a vegetable mandolin or knife slice the eggplant into ¼ inch thickness. Melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil and lightly coat the egg plant on both sides. Salt and pepper to taste. Put into the oven for 10 minutes. While they are in the oven, slice up your red pepper and onion using the mandolin. If you have one this will save you so much time! In a mixing bowl, add all of the spices together, stir until well combined. Chop up the mushrooms and throw all of the vegetables into a hot frying pan with remaining coconut oil, lime and desired amount of taco seasoning. Fry veggies until soft (the vegetables will probably be done at the same time as the eggplant) Garnish with avocado! Serve immediately and be prepared to get a little messy! Enjoy!

** If you don’t have eggplant but have a large zucchini, that would work just as good! 
** If you are looking for a vegetable mandolin I saw one at Super Store for $10.00. I got mine at Costco for $40.00 and it works awesome.

Thanks for reading,
Xoxo -N

No comments:

Post a Comment