Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

Cast Iron Shepherds Pie, Vegan Gluten Free

Who loves comfort food!? I do, and so does my husband. With our Saskatchewan weather being so up and down lately some days it still feels like January, which is not fun. That’s where my Shepherds Pie comes in, this dish is bound to warm you up, no matter how cold it is outside.

Like always I was on Pinterest and this recipe caught my eye for a couple reasons. One because it looked amazing, and two my sister Chelsea has a similar recipe that she has yet to share with me. So I decided the wait was over and it was time to make this bad boy. I had most of the ingredients in my house which made it easy to prepare, I only needed the green beans and potatoes and I was set. I didn’t make a ton of changes to her recipe but I did make some, so here is her recipe if you wanted to compare ours. I wont lie, the preparation of this dish is a little time consuming so I would suggest doing this when you know you have around 45 mins to prepare a meal. I will say though, it’s well worth the wait.

I had started making this on Saturday night (having the lentils soaking since I woke up) and at 5:30 Devon got a text asking if he wanted to go to the hockey game. Of course he said yes and I was now all alone for supper. There was no way I was going to put off making this because I was so excited to try it. So as I was sitting there wallowing in my loneliness I thought “lets invite Chelsea over and she can try my recipe out!” And luckily her and her boyfriend Taylor weren’t busy and were happy to come over and eat.

Yay! I'm not alone anymore and they both loved my meal, double bonus! We didn’t end up doing too much, basically watched 90’s music videos on You Tube and Louis ck’s (love him) stand up comedy on Netflix. Which, for me, is a really fun night because who could ask for more than family, good food and funny tv!




Ingredients
2 large gold potatoes
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tbsp of coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
½ zucchini, diced
1 cup mushrooms, diced
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups green beans, cut in 1″ pieces
½ cup of dry mixed lentils, soaked for 4 - 6 hours or, 1 can of mixed lentils
1 ½ tsp thyme
¼ tsp sage
2 cups baby spinach leaves, packed
1 tbsp gluten free flour or cornstarch
2 tbsp water (or veg. broth)
1 cup of cheddar Daiya cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

Wash and cut up potatoes into cubes, I leave the skin on mine, place into large pot and cover with water. Cook until fork tender and reserve some cooking water for later. Drain, then add the almond milk and mash until smooth. You can add some of the cooking water if too dry.

Rinse off the soaked lentils, place in a medium sized pot and boil for 30 mins, or until soft.

While potatoes and lentils are cooking, make the filling. Heat up large cast iron pan and oil. Sauté onions, celery, carrots and garlic until browned. Add mushrooms, zucchini and green beans and spices, sauté for 5 mins. Add broth and lentils, stir until well combined. Simmer for 15 mins or until all veggies are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
There should be some liquid in the pan, if not add more potato water or broth. Add the spinach and stir until completely wilted.
Mix flour and water until smooth, add to the pan and stir until well combined and has thickened.

Spoon the potatoes over the top of filling and level out. Sprinkle cheese over top and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 mins or until the cheese has melted.

Serve while hot and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment