Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Super Soft Banana Brownies, Vegan and Gluten Free

Something that I really love about my jobs is that I have Mondays off. I can get SO much done on Mondays, like cleaning the house, laundry and even quilting! Maybe its because my husband isn't home...

So in celebration of having a day off I was in the mood to bake something, but I wasn't quite sure what. I started to think what I was in the mood for, sweet? savory? sour? And what I came up with probably has something to do with Halloween: I thought CHOCOLATE. Not that I haven't been sneaking my vegan chocolate bars in every couple days (or maybe hours, I don't know if there will be any for the kids) but I was thinking something more substantial. How about Brownies, I thought to myself? Those sound awesome (I'm really smart)!! They will be the perfect snack for the quilting retreat I have this weekend! In which I will finally be posting something about fabric, sorry guys Food has just taken over my life lately I havent got in enough time in my sewing room. 

Gluten Free Brownie! 
I have made a lot of brownies in the past, but just recently I started doing the black bean brownies. This is where you take a can of black beans, blend them up, add them to a premix brownie package and bake them. SUPER SIMPLE, vegan, and really good. However, they can become dry, which is my pet peeve of brownies. So I got to thinking what would make them moist?

Regular Brownie!
Bananas!! The perfect solution to any baking dilemma. They add moisture and a great flavor to any baking and I just happen to have 8 bunches of bananas in my house right now. Next I thought about adding coconut milk, its dairy free and will add a rich smooth texture to the bananas. 

Now that I had my idea I just needed my box of brownies. Superstore has a great Organic Brownie mix that only has 5 ingredients and they are dairy and egg free. This is the mix I use for my black bean brownie mix. But then I thought, what about doing a gluten free mix too? You can never have too many brownies. So I bought both!!

Ingredients 

Regular Brownie! Looks so good!
1 Brownie Mix
2 Medium Bananas
1/4 cup of Coconut Milk 
1/4 cup of Chocolate Chips, vegan

Pre Heat oven to temperature listed on the box. Blend the bananas and the coconut milk together in a blender until smooth. Gradually add banana mixture to the dry brownie mix and chocolate chips, until you get the consistency of a brownie batter. If you are using large bananas you might end up not using all of your wet mixture, and thats okay. Basically you just want to add enough to get it wet and thick. You don't want it to get too soupy or else they wont set.
Place in the oven for the allotted time on the box. Let cool. ENJOY!

I did this for both boxes, the Organic Regular and the Gluten Free one and the Gluten free one turned out a little stickier, but for me thats not a bad thing. 
I loved the results of them, I don't think I will go back to making the black bean ones. 

Stella finds it hard to look at Mom
This was going to be the end of my post, however my husband informed me this afternoon that our little girl Stella broke into our kitchen and ate ALL of the Gluten Free ones. Luckily I had tried one late night so I can tell you that they turned out great. I guess I wont be taking those to the Quilt Retreat!

So I just had to post some pictures of her! And as Ron Burgundy would say: 
I am not even mad: that's amazing! 



She looks so sad



She feels really bad, and she promises never to do it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment