Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas Quilt Projects!


Have I ever mentioned that I love quilting?! Cause I really do. This Christmas I had 3 sewing projects to finish before the 25th and each of them turned out fantastic. They were all really fun to make and I was really proud of myself because I didn’t leave it till the very last minute to get them done.


The baby quilt was for my friend Kara, her boyfriend’s sister just had a baby boy named Rhone and she wanted to give him a quilt for Christmas. She found the awesome baby motorcycle fabric on Spoonflower and texted me the link so I could buy it. After seeing the fabric I knew what I wanted to make, the fabric is so busy and I really didn’t want to cut it up so I went for something basic that would show off the great print.
With a lot of parents naming their children different and unique names that are hard to spell and sometimes even pronounce, I sympathize with these kids. My name isn’t different or unique but I could NEVER EVER find anything with my name on it when I was younger. No Nikki Pencils, no Nikki Stickers, no Nikki Erasers. Nothing. Oh there was Nicole (barf, no offense) or Nick (I'M NOT A GUY!)
So I feel like I could help this little guy out by giving him something with his name on it. I know I would have really appreciated it when I was younger, to have something with my name on it. Who knows, maybe my quilt will help him spell his name... I could be helping this little boy learn! Woo Hoo!
I was super happy with this quilt and so was Kara, it’s really adorable and I put a plush backing on it to make it even better. This was the first project I finished, a whole 10 days before Christmas which is really good timing for me!
 
The second project I made was this amazing yet time consuming wall hanging for my friend Spencer. He wanted to give his family friends something for Christmas but wasn’t sure what since they are one of those families that have everything. Then he came up with the idea of a wall hanging to commemorate their farm turning 100. He sent me 9 pictures and gave me artistic freedom to make whatever I want.
 I chose the picture of the original homestead because I felt it would mean more to the family to see the original homestead on the wall.

I printed the picture off onto transparent paper for my overhead projector. I then projected the image onto the wall and individually traced out all of the images onto heat and bond, which I then pieced together to bring the wall hanging to life. Picking out the fabric was a challenge yet fun, because I wanted it all to look as much as the picture as possible but I also wanted to add some more vibrancy that the picture lacked. I had never done a wall hanging before, so it was also my first time doing hand stitching (other than binding), so I think I did a pretty great job. It was so worth all of the needles going through my fingers.... note to self, get a thimble.

The finished project turned out great, I am really happy with it, which doesn’t happen often. And the cherry on the vegan cake was that Spencer texted me on Christmas Eve quoting the woman he gave it to saying “Tell her she did an absolutely fabulous bitchin job” Gotta love it when you can make a 63 year old woman say Bitchin!



The third and final project I made for Christmas was two pillow beds for my nephews Brody and Carson. After seeing these on Pinterest, I knew I had to make them and they looked so comfy and pretty simple to make. I luckily found matching pillow cases at Winners, 2 for $4.99, which was a steal of a deal, especially since they were super cute patterns with cars, stripes and sports balls on them.
All I had to do was zig zag each of the pillow cases together insert the pillows and VIOLA DONE! Probably one of the easiest gifts I ever made. And the icing on the vegan cake here was that my nephews put down their new remote control cars because they were so pumped about them. When opening them Brody yelled ‘WOW PILLOWS!!’ and instantly wanted to play on them. I couldn’t have been happier with their reaction. So next time you are stumped on a gift for your young relatives, think about making them these pillow beds, they are totally worth it!



Thanks for reading!
Xoxo -N


No comments:

Post a Comment