Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

One Hot Brussel Sprout, Quinoa Salad

Lately I have been loving my hot salads. They are the perfect balance between wanting a hot cooked meal and wanting to get my raw fruits and veggies in. This one came to me one night and I thought I would give it a try, not really knowing how it would turn out (this is how most of my meals start out). And Success!! It turned out great. 

Before I met Devon I thought I hated brussel sprouts. I might have tried them once before him, but with the stigma that brussel sprouts were gross I think my mind was already made up that I was not going to like them. Then at one of Devon's family suppers they were placed on the table and Devon made me try them, just to see if I might like them. I didn't just like them, I loved them! They are now a main side dish in our house, usually accompanied by quinoa and salmon for Devon.

Ingredients - Serving for 2-3 people
3 cups of brussel sprouts
1 cup of quinoa
2 cups of water
1 tsp of coconut oil
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 small zucchini, sliced thin
6 cups of romaine lettuce, or any other leafy green
1 lemon, juiced.
Steam your brussel sprouts in a double boiler pot until fork tender. Boil the 2 cups of water and add quinoa, simmer until all of the water is gone (it cooks very similar to rice). Saute the oil, mushrooms, onions, garlic for 5 minutes, then add the cooked brussel sprouts and saute for another 10 minutes.
Arrange your lettuce in a bowl or a plate, top with quinoa, vegetable mixture, fresh zucchini and dress it with the lemon juice!!

Optional ingredients: The other day I made this for the second time and I added fresh tomatoes plus I added 1/4 cup of Daiya cheese into the pan of the sauted veggie mixture, leaving it in there just long enough so it melts. So good! I just forgot to take a picture :(



No comments:

Post a Comment