Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What is Nutritional Yeast?

I was thinking the other day about how some of you might not know what nutritional yeast is (because I sure didn't a couple months ago) And I have been using it in some of my recipes I post. So I thought I would do just a quick post for those of you who don't know what Nutritional Yeast is! 

Lets see what good old Wikipedia has to say:
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast (unlike the activated yeast found in breads) often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. 
It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium and is free of sugardairy, and gluten. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with Vitamin B12
Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of cheese. It can be used in many recipes in place of cheese, such as mashed and fried potatoes, as well as put into scrambled tofu as a substitute for scrambled eggs. Another popular use is as a topping for popcorn.
I was a little weirded out by it when I first came across it, but after using it I have grown to love it in my food. Some other ways Nutritional Yeast can be used are:

  • Mixed into tomato sauce and pasta, as a type of Parmesan Cheese
  • Mixed into chili
  • Sprinkled on top of pizza
  • Sprinkled on top of veggies before you roast them in the oven
Also for those who have a Superstore or Bulk Barn near by, I found it at both places. At Bulk Barn you get to control how much to take home, where as Superstore might be more convenient. You can also get it at most health food stores, such as Alternate Roots and Nutters!



The recipes I have used it in: 



Thanks for reading!
xoxo -N

No comments:

Post a Comment