Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vegan Chick*n Salad Wraps


I was searching through Pinterest the other day and came across a recipe for tofu salad sandwiches. At first I wasn’t that interested in the recipe, first because it is made with bread (gross) and also made with tofu (double gross). So I kept scrolling through looking at other randomness that is Pinterest and I got to thinking of the hummus I had to make that night for our families TGIF party. That’s when it occurred to me, like two ideas colliding in my head… what if I used chick peas instead of tofu!? It actually sounded really appealing to me and quite simple too.
So after work on Saturday I told Devon I was going to make us something new to eat, he was a little skeptical but willing to try my new idea. I decided to have mine in a lettuce wrap and Devon chose a pita with lettuce. It only took a couple minutes to prepare, which was really helpful because I was starving!
The verdict? Awesome!! I haven’t had a something like that in a very long time and was it ever good. Devon really enjoyed it as well saying that he would even eat it again! I found that the pickles were the perfect touch to the whole thing, they added crunch and salt and a hint of color in the mix!
I really hope some of you give this a try because it will not disappoint! It is a wonderful substitute that does require any more effort, you buy a can of chick peas instead of a can of chicken or tuna. I know I compared this to a chicken salad but tuna is just as common, if not more. So for the picky eaters in your life that don’t like fish, this would be a good substitute for them to try. Also the nutritional benefits of switching to chick peas from tuna are worth mentioning! Yes there are more grams of protein per cup in tuna, but the fiber, iron, calcium and vitamins in chick peas have tuna beat! Enjoy!

Chick Peas - 1 cup/250 grams
13 grams of protein
7 grams of fiber
340mg of sodium
Iron, calcium, vitamins A and C

Canned Tuna in Water - 1 cup/250 grams
65 grams of protein
0 grams of fiber
760mg of sodium
Iron, but no calcium, or vitamins

Ingredients
6 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
1 cups of Chick Peas
1 tbsp Vegan Mayo
2 tsp Mustard
1 large Pickle, diced
Salt and Pepper

I wont lie to you, I really just dumped in dabs of mayo and zig zags of mustard, but I am pretty sure these are accurate on what I had in my mixing bowl. If you have ever made chicken or tuna salad before you know that you never really measure the mayo or mustard. :)

Basically put all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Fill romaine lettuce leaves and serve!

Thanks for reading!
Xoxo -N




No comments:

Post a Comment