Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cherry Raspberry Cream Truffles

I love the way a woman’s mind works. Especially mine.

Like most of my fellow females (I assume), I deal with very conflicting ideas in my head. One minute I think to myself I really should eat more raw fruits and veggies and cut back on my processed foods (chips are the devil) and fats. Ever since I got back from Mexico I have wanted to do a 21 day raw challenge but have been putting it off. I have great intentions but lack the motivation right now. Hopefully one day in the near future I will just get off my ass and do it, until then I get to eat these awesome treats!!

That’s where the conflicting ideas come in, one minute I am thinking about eating fruit and salads the next minute I am thinking about lasagna and pizza bites. And scrolling through Fragrant Vanilla Cake’s blog doesn’t help my situation either. That’s where I went yesterday and unfortunately/fortunately I came across one of her newest posts: Raw Raspberry Rose Cream Truffels. Cue the angels singing, I have found Holy Grail of desserts. They looked amazing and I couldn’t wait to try them for myself. I quickly made a grocery list and thought about what I was going to do differently than what she had laid out (like no rose water). Forget about wanting to cut back on treats, fats and food that isn’t healthy, I had a mission!!

I didn’t stray too far from what Amy did, but I made some slight changes to fit my tastes. Such as I took out the rose water and added cherries. At first I tasted the cream with just the raspberries and it just seemed a little blah, so thankfully I had frozen cherries in my freezer! Because the raspberries are so tart they had trouble over powering the nutty flavour of the cashews, so by adding the cherries added the perfect amount of sweetness that really evened out the flavour. Also I used dates because I didn’t have any of the nectar she was talking about, and I feel better about using dates because its one less processed thing I am putting in my body! Finally the chocolate sauce. I decided to use just chocolate chips and coconut milk because I am lazy. Its only two ingredients and I really love the taste of the vegan chocolate chips!

I couldn’t have been happier with how they turned out! They are the perfect treat, they are light and creamy, not too dense, not too sweet and they taste similar to ice cream. Devon really liked them, as wel as all the ladies I work with. Not that any of them are picky, but its good to know other people love what I make too!
 

To see Amy’s original post click here.


Pinned Image
Some chocolate covered ones with some plain. Remember, please no judging my pictures, it's how they taste that matters!!
 Raspberry Cherry Filling:
9 majool dates, diced + 1/4 cup filtered water
1 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces (soaked for 4 hours or overnight)
1/4 cup filtered water

1/4 tsp sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
1/2 cup organic frozen cherries
1 cup organic raspberries

Chocoalte
1 1/2 vegan chocoalte chips
1/2 cup coconut milk


Combine dates and water into a high power blender and blend on high until smooth. Add cashews, water, sea salt, vanilla and blend until smooth again. With the processor running, add the coconut oil and process another minute until well incorporated. Add the raspberries and process until smooth. 
 Pour into a flat Tupperware container (it cools off more evenly than a bowl), and place in the freezer until firm, but scoopable.  Like scooping out ice cream, dig into the mixture and form tbsp sized balls, this is going to get really messy so be prepaired if you are letting little ones help roll!  Place on parchment paper, and once they are all rolled, place back in the freezer to harden. 

Meanwhile, make the chocolate. Put chocolate chips and coconut milk into a large glass bowl. Place a large glass bowl over a medium pot of boiling water, so that the steam from the water will melt the chocolate. Dip the filling balls into the chocolate and place on the parchment paper.  Once they are all dipped, place them back in the freezer to set completely.  Enjoy! 
You can store extra in the freezer, if there are any left.... 

Thanks for reading!
xoxo-N

No comments:

Post a Comment